TL;DR : This is not for people like you. Get back to whatever video you were watching!
For being interested enough to get here, I am happy to welcome you.
My name is Idris Ayodeji Bello, and yes, I need help! I will leave it to you to propose a title later.
You have only one job, to make my life easier. I retired from paid employment five years ago; 6 years actually, to have more time. Today, I don’t have that time, so I need you to give me back my time.
My mantra; Outcomes are more important than activities (this is not a job where you ‘form’ busy)
Who am I?
Check my Blog. Check my LinkedIn profile. Check my LoftyInc Capital page. You should easily find the links online. Google me! Seriously!
What do I do?
My day is spent around entrepreneurs, innovators, and investors. I run multiple communication channels (WhatsApp inclusive) and a few email addresses. Via these channels, I do the following:
- engage with investors that probably want to invest in our funds, or angels who want to join our syndicate,
- answer the questions of existing investors who have already invested in our funds,
- engage startups who would like us to invest in their raise or whom we would like to invest in and,
- manage issues for our current portfolio companies who need help with management, fundraising or whatever else they need help with.
- help entrepreneurs in any shape, form, or manner
- come up with new ideas and create thought leadership
So, what will you do for me?
I am not alone. There is a full-time team (and a part-time team) working on the funds, however, you will be taking some weight off me on my own tasks. You must commit to excellence and be someone who gets things done, and makes life easier for me. You have to have a low ego and high EQ: no job should be too small, nor any problem too big to work through, particularly through collaboration with the team.
The individual fit for this role could be anyone and some profiles include:
- A recent graduate with startup experience who thrives on keeping the trains running on time with little supervision.
- An aspiring entrepreneur who wants a look into VC and fundraising.
- An individual who is looking for a springboard into specialized roles in technology and an eagerness for learning new things fast.
- Someone who wants to move away from the conventional 9-5 and would like to try their hands in a full-throttle environment.
- Someone who is preparing for their MBA in the next few years, or a recent MBA grad
- Anyone really!
More broadly, you will be handling;
Handling all the administration for the Afropreneur Angels Group- including Angel Relations & coordination, process and deal management, documentation, agreements, deal listing, post-investment follow-ups, etc.
Manage my non-personal, non-LCM inbox-from founders seeking investment, to media attention, speaking engagements, meeting scheduling etc.
Processing, tracking, and managing database, communications (emails and phones) and overseeing the scheduling of meetings.
Creating decks and other materials to support stakeholders, fundraising, and business development opportunities.
Any other duties; research speech prep, deck preparation, planning, brand management, blog/social media, opportunities sourcing & management.
What is in it for you?
- You are going to have unqualified access to some of the top people in the venture capital space. I envy you already. I work with over 150 of the smartest investors in Africa, and engage with over 100 portfolio companies across diverse sectors!
- Access to our deals; if you are someone who wants to invest or just learn
- You are going to be stretched by the diversity of our deal flow.
- The pay is 200-250k per month Naira – quite flexible. It could also be double. Show value, get value! Bring opportunities to the table and double your income!
- You don’t have to come to the office. When I come to Nigeria or wherever you are, we can meet up and talk. If you need to check on a portfolio company, do so! Apart from that, it is going to be mostly virtual. Just get the job done. I have someone who works with me from Tunisia, and we have never met. I just need someone who can get the job done, someone who can help me with the things that I am spending my time doing, so I can focus on other things that only I can do!.
You have to be seeking to work in this space for this to make sense for you.
What did I miss?
- You need to be good with Excel/Google Sheets and PowerPoint.
- You need to have a lot of initiative to make the work easier if truly you want to get the job done.
- You need to be organized. And help me get better organized.
- Putting tools, systems and processes to work should be something that comes naturally to you.
- You need to have excellent writing skills because I cannot stand typos. I am allergic to bad writing. Blame my dad, he would point out errors on invitation cards!
- I also cannot stand mediocrity. If you cannot dot your i’s and cross your t’s, do not even bother applying, as we will fight (and I have been told I look like Floyd Mayweather). Nobody is perfect but you must commit to excellence. Ask those who have worked with me.
- I also cannot stand people who lack integrity. You are going to be dealing with people’s confidential information. So, if you cannot be trusted, do not bother applying.
- Also, the timing of this job. I have deliverables which mean you could schedule your time and work two hours per day or even work 20 hours per day. I don’t have working hours myself, I work across time zones, so I want to be able to push deliverables out and know that they are being done.
- Communication is also key for me because I do not like surprises. I don’t like surprises. You MUST communicate! Let me know what is dropping, why, and what you are doing to fix it. I cannot stand excuses. Communicate. If you have questions, do ask. You must be committed, do the research, get the job done.
It is all over the place. What you do in the morning might be different from what you do in the evening. You have to be comfortable with the lack of structure. In the morning I could be talking about flying cars and in the evening, I could be talking about helping a founder with a personal issue. . Did I mention I review about 15 pitch decks daily and my Calendly is full weeks in advance?
Lest I forget, I have a blog that can be better. I have plans to write a book, but I am not bothered about that for now. I might not be asking for day-to-day stuff but when I need stuff, I need stuff.
For this job, you need Initiative, Energy (lots of it) and Integrity!
Finally, I know I already stated the salary range, but I remain flexible.
And lastly, there is a short list of good people who have worked with me / for me over the years; you may want to check with them what that entailed, before wasting your time (and mine?)
Check out this link for a fair description of the role.
Please complete the application thoughtfully and I’ll aim to get back to you with a decision to proceed or not proceed. Successful candidates at each round will be sent an email to proceed with the next round.
However, I reserve the right to skip any of these steps 😊.
- Fill an application that includes a resume and LinkedIn profile (if you cant even maintain your own LinkedIn profile……need I say more?
- Submit a cover letter – In a few sentences, why are you a fit for this role? (Hint: this is quite important hence, show you could thrive in an environment of ordered chaos).
Round 1 is now closed and aapplications are under review. Round 2 dates have been modified below.
Round 2: Writing and Research (Saturday, July 17 – 23:59 WAT on Friday, July 27th)
Writing exercise to be revealed later for those who qualify for Round 2
Round 3: Interviews (TBD)
Applicants from Round 2, whose writing submission proves to be impressive will be invited for an interview with me.
Good Luck. We both need it!